• Cotswolds Au Pair Agency

Driving in the UK

Updated: Jul 1, 2020

Some of the host families prefer an au pair who drives. In this case, we will ask the candidate about their driving experience and to provide a full, clean, valid driving licence.

Please see below some recommendation to the host parents:

  • Talk to your Insurer asking them to put your au pair on the car insurance.

  • Think about enhancing your policy to protect your no claims bonus.

  • Once the au pair arrived, arrange a few driving lessons. (The agency will provide a copy of the Highway Code for the successful candidates to read it through before the placement starts.)

  • On the first few occasions when the au pair is driving, they should be accompanied by someone aged over 21 who has held a full driving licence for at least three years.

  • Make sure that a written note is handed over to your au pair on what to do in the event of an accident or a breakdown. (Agency provides template.)

  • Fuel and all maintenance costs has to be paid by the host family. In case personal use is not against the house rules, that is in most cases the au pair’s cost.

  • Recommended displaying ‘L’ plates on the front and back of your vehicle to reflect the au pair’s lack of UK driving experience.

#driving #drivinglessons #becareful

13 views0 comments